While they seem harmless, button batteries can be dangerous if swallowed by children. When a button battery is swallowed, it can get stuck in the esophagus on the way to the stomach and cause serious injury or death in less than two hours.
In today’s technology-driven world, coin-sized button batteries are everywhere. They power gadgets and electronic items that we use every day. While they seem harmless, button batteries can be dangerous if swallowed by children. When a button battery is swallowed, it can get stuck in the esophagus on the way to the stomach and cause serious injury or death in less than two hours. Following a few safety tips can help prevent button battery-related injuries.
- Know which products in your home are powered by button batteries.
- Keep these products out of the reach of young children.
- Tape the battery compartments of these electronic devices shut.
- When buying electronic products, including toys or games, choose those that have compartments that require a screwdriver to open or have a child-resistant locking system.
- Store unused batteries in a locked cabinet or container that is out of reach of young children.
- Do not change batteries in front of children.
- Throw away old batteries in a place that a young child cannot reach.
- When visiting family members and friends, be aware that their homes may have button batteries easily accessible to young children.
- If you think a child has swallowed a button battery or put one in his nose or ear, go to the nearest emergency department immediately.
- Do not make him vomit
- Do not let him eat or drink
PRODUCTS THAT MAY USE BUTTON BATTERIES
- Examples of products that use button batteries include:
- Musical greeting cards
- Remote controls
- Hearing aids
- Bathroom scales
- Garage door openers
- Talking books
- Flashing shoes
- Home medical equipment
- Electronic jewelry
- Holiday ornaments
- Electric candles
Content provided by the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s